Monday, August 31, 2015

Week 12: Investigators Come to Church!

Every time I come to the computer it feels like the scene from “101 Dalmations” where Cruella-de-Vil looks crazy driving that car!  You can imagine me typing on the computer, having so much I want to tell you but never having enough time!  It doesn't help that there is a timer counting down at the top of the screen!  So I am sorry that all of my letters are probably so scattered.  

The family that we have been teaching for the past couple of weeks came to church.  It was so exciting!  I don't know if it is just this area, or the time of year I arrived here, but we have had a hard time getting people to come to church. It was so great to see our investigators at church! They told us that they probably wouldn't be able to make it so we were so excited when they walked in.  They were watching two of their friend's kids and so it was fun being able to try and keep all of the kids entertained!  It reminded me of home!  They could only stay for sacrament meeting, but it was so fun seeing them there.  We have become so close to them over the past couple of weeks.  When we go over, the middle daughter always says, "You feel just like my older sisters!"  They really do feel like family!  The girls love to braid my hair and tell us all about how their day went.  I can already see how much joy the gospel has brought into their lives, and they have helped build my testimony so much!  Haha, one of the speakers at church was quoting that "Cool Kids" song over the pulpit... he was talking the lyrics and it was a little weird, but I love those people who try to spice things up.

Another miracle this week was that J got to go do baptisms at the temple! He was baptized the week before I got here and, along with the elders, we’ve been helping him progress towards going to the temple.  He is so funny- after getting baptized he was so stubborn, and he really didn't want to go to the temple.  But as we kept explaining more about it, his heart softened and the ward took a temple trip on Saturday and he loved it! He has been so amazing in fulfilling his calling, and he is such an awesome member. He gets to church an hour before it starts and loves to socialize with people!  A couple of Sundays ago he said, "Sister Hunter, are you having a bad hair day?"  HAHA, I was actually, and he is the only one bold enough to point it out.  In my defense it was raining and super humid! He gave us his famous deer chili.... I was pretty hesitant to try it because I had never eaten deer, but it actually tasted really good!  

We had a neat experience when we went to FHE for YSA.  We found out they were going to a field to play Ultimate Frisbee so we decided that it might be better to visit some of our investigators. As we were driving away we all felt like we should go back.  As we turned around and drove back, we noticed a lady crying and so we went over and talked with her.  She told us that she had just gotten the news that her cancer had returned - we were able to pray with her and try our best to comfort her during that hard time.  It is amazing to see how the Spirit can work through us to help other people.  I feel so lucky that I get to be a small part of the Lord's work!  Another thing that was cool- we met this guy working at the grocery store and invited him to FHE, and he and his friend actually came - that never happens!  I think they had a lot of fun too.

The weather has cooled down a little this past week.  When we go running in the morning it is so nice to have it feel almost cold! As we leave and come home from our apartment we get a lot of encouragement from our neighbors.  They will often say, "I appreciate so much what you are doing!"  or, "Keep up the good work!"  It's kind of ironic because they totally support us, they just don't want to listen to us!  Well the work is moving forward down here and I am so grateful for all of the prayers and support from home!  Love you! 

Love, 

Sister Hunter 

 Zone Sisters P-day Picnic!

 Impressing a young member with my football skills

 Love these sweet investigators!

 Thanks for the new outfit, Mom!




No comments:

Post a Comment