Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Week 18: Proselyting on Golf Carts

Every week on the mission has been so different that I never know what to expect!  We had another emergency transfer, and the Sister from the other ward that meets in our building is now part of our companionship- yay for trios!  She finishes her mission in three weeks so I suspect she will stay with us until that time.  She is so fun and brings a really positive vibe to the apartment!  We have been covering her area as well as ours for the past couple of days so it has been busy!  The weather has been cooling down and the humidity has lowered so it has been so nice!  Every time we walk outside we say, "It feels like Utah weather!”  We have our mini van (we prefer to call it “The Swagger Wagon”) for about half of the week and the other half we are on bikes.  One day this past week a member drove us around all day on her golf cart. It was the best!  Haha we are probably some of the only missionaries that can say we travel around doing missionary work on golf carts- this is truly a unique place to be serving but I love it! 

Since General Conference, Sister Barrett and I have been "ponderizing" a scripture a week and this week my scripture is Mormon 9:19. It says, “And if there were miracles wrought then, why has God ceased to be a God of miracles and yet be an unchangeable Being? And behold, I say unto you he changeth not; if so he would cease to be God; and he ceaseth not to be God, and is a God of miracles."  I love this verse because there are so many miracles that happen in our lives that we don't always take the time to notice or have “the eyes to see”.  When I do notice those little, tender mercies from the Lord I am so much happier!  Here’s an example:  we had been on the bikes all day Thursday, and it was one of those days where no one was really listening to us.  It was pretty hot, and, yeah, just not one of the greatest days ever, but THEN a member in the ward called us and told us that she gets free Olive Garden for 7 months (I have no clue how she swung that deal) and she got us so much food!! Such a blessing and a miracle for us that day!  Tender mercies- they are everywhere!  Even in the form of carb loaded food :)  

We had another cool miracle this week- we started talking to a lady who was standing outside the grocery store about the gospel and her eyes lit up.  She was so interested in what we had to say!  She was meeting a friend at the grocery store and once he came out to talk to her she didn't even bother talking to him, she was like "I just want to listen to what you have to say, I can talk to him another time."  She lives in a tiny town that we found out isn't only out of our area, but out of our mission!  It’s a bummer that we won't be able to teach her!  She had never heard of the church or The Book of Mormon, and I was telling her how much peace it has brought to my life.  She expressed that she was having trouble with her son and that she needed that peace in her life!  It was such an amazing experience, and I am so grateful that Heavenly Father put her in our path.  We called her a couple days later and she said that she has been reading. She said, "I highlighted parts of it just like you told me to!"  I am so sad that we won't get to teach her at all, but she is so ready for the Gospel!

Love,

Sister Hunter 

No comments:

Post a Comment