Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Week 27: Elder Holland in Atlanta!


Hearing Elder Holland speak to us this week was one of the highlights of my mission so far!  It was such an incredible experience.  He spoke to all of the women 18 and up in the stakes in and surrounding Atlanta on Friday night.  We had to attend a broadcast because the building was so full!  Then on Saturday morning he spoke to our mission and the Atlanta North mission.  He has such a powerful spirit, and he was hilarious!  It was so cool to see him so unscripted and speaking from his heart. Our investigator, Mary, went Friday night to hear him speak and absolutely loved it!  She sat with Sister Foote- they have really connected and have become great friends!  The main things that I took away from hearing Elder Holland was that no matter what we experience in this life we are promised that it will all work out in the end, so we need to trust rather than worry!  As disciples of Christ we are doing our best to become like Him, and we can't become like Him if we don't experience heartache and trials. When we look at the Savior's life and see all that he had to go through it makes what we go through seem like nothing.  We are so lucky because we have His promise that He will help us every step of the way!  He quoted someone who I can't exactly remember but I really liked the quote. He said, "Endure and save yourself for days of happiness ahead.”

When he spoke to the missionaries it was so powerful!!! I could go on and on but I don't have enough time to write it all.  He basically said that too many people don't keep moving forward after their missions, and we need to always be progressing in the gospel no matter what stage of life we are in!  We got to sit on the front row and the Spirit was so strong in that meeting!  It was funny because the Atlanta North mission was there and I saw this sister that I recognized but I couldn't remember from where, and as we started talking we realized that she works at the craft store that I would always go to in Rexburg!  Haha, I spent so much time there no wonder we recognized each other!

We had an awesome lesson with Mary at our mission presidents house this week!  President and Sister Foote both bore such powerful and strong testimonies that Sister Barrett and I pretty much were speechless because how could we follow that?  Mary is so amazing and has so much courage and such a strong testimony of the gospel!

On Sunday we felt such an outpouring of love from the ward!  A recent convert who got baptized the week before I got here gave Sister Barrett and I a nail kit.  It was so funny because he is an older brother who loves hunting, camo, and anything to do with guns.  He was like, "I don't ever shop for women but I know ya'll don't get to go home for Christmas so here you go."  It was the sweetest thing ever!  The Miamaids gave us a 12 days of Christmas gift to open every day till Christmas!  This ward is the best!  I am so grateful I get to stay here next transfer too!  We got the call this morning saying we are going to be STL's next transfer, and Sister Barrett and I are excited/freaking out!  It should be an adventure! 

We visit a member of the ward who has some serious health problems, and we had a neat experience while she was doing a breathing treatment.  We were singing Christmas songs to her (somehow the Spirit was there even though Sister B and I don't have great singing voices) and it was one of those moments where you know that God exists and is watching out for His children.  It is sort of hard to describe, but it was such a cool moment for me!


Lastly, we had such a cool opportunity on Sunday to go around with a member of the ward.  This sweet, older lady took us to all of her neighbors and we gave each of them "The Living Christ" for Christmas and shared a little bit about the church with them!  She is what I want to be like when I am 75!  She is such an awesome member missionary!  Each of us play a part in moving the work forward, and they are all different but so important.  Looking forward to another great week!  Thanks for all of the prayers and support!  Love you!   

 So excited to get my Christmas box


   Look at this Winter weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment