Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Week 69: General Conference!

This week was wonderful.  Conference was definitely a highlight! 
We taught Randy on Monday with a couple in the ward and they connected really well with him, so that was a huge success! It was funny/not funny, but someone hit the couple’s car while we were teaching the lesson.  At first we were nervous that there was a lot of damage, but luckily there wasn't. Their car is a tank!  Then we had dinner with the girls I told you about last week that had the issue at women's conference.  They gave us these little Asian piggy banks full of packets of jams and jellies.  Haha, it totally made my day! 

Tuesday was the day of everything falling through.  It rained really hard that night too, and we had a crazy incident.  It was 4 AM and we were sleeping (obviously), and then someone rang the doorbell like 4 times.  Sis. B is a super heavy sleeper so she didn’t get up, and I ran to the door and tried to look out the window, but couldn’t see anyone. Whoever it was then started knocking on the door.  Meanwhile, I’m pacing back and forth in our living room not knowing what to do. Then he starts knocking on the WINDOW!  At that point I woke up Sister B! He’s now gone around to the side of the house and is knocking on our side window. We were freaking out! Finally, I pulled the blinds back and it was a random guy standing there, and he yelled, “The light in your car is on!” Thank you stranger for waking us up at 4 AM, giving us a heart attack, and not allowing our car battery to die!  After he left I ran out and turned the light off.  My guess is that he had a little too much to drink that night!

We did service with a super cute family in our ward and made applesauce from scratch.  It was really fun and a lot easier than I thought it would be!  We had a cool miracle - we were finally able to contact a potential we found soon after Sister B got here, and she is still super open and excited about learning, such a sweet lady! We met a really cool referral this week who has just moved here from out of state. She had a lot of LDS friends from where she used to live and the elders and Sister B. and I helped her move in.  She is really excited to start learning more about the gospel, super solid and super sweet. 

We taught Maple again, and we focused on the Sacrament because she has no idea what it means or why we take it each week.  It was cool to see the light bulb go on in her head as we read about it in the scriptures.  We had a lesson with Bob and he taught us “The Gospel of Jesus Christ,” and it is seriously the best hearing him teach and feeling the power and spirit of his testimony.  Later that night we went out to dinner with Sister Williams for her birthday, and it was a blast! She ordered all this dessert and sister B is lactose intolerant. Sister Williams ate one bite and she was like, "It has to all be gone before we go!" aka, Sister Hunter needs to scarf down everything... it took me a solid two days to recover from all that ice cream and dessert!

CONFERENCE!!!! It was amazing.  As soon as it started I felt like I was trying to keep a bunch of sand in my hands but I couldn't hold it all forever! It went by much too fast.  I feel like the main themes that stood out to me were repentance and the joy of the gospel.  I think my favorite talks were by Elder Rasband and President Russell M. Nelson.  I love how much they focused on the joy of the gospel.  I also loved how Elder Rasband talked about living up to our name, and it made me appreciate the fact that I was named after two amazing people!  I also loved how much they focused on missionary work.  It is so key to have members involved.  The work moves forward so much faster when members are actively engaged, so it was awesome to hear a huge emphasis on that! Honestly all the talks were amazing, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir killed it.  Have they always been that good?  I was really grateful for the boost it gave me. I received the exact revelation I was looking for as I’ve pondered how I want to improve and continue progressing for the rest of my mission and after my mission. We watched three of the sessions at the church and then one with a less active sister who lives a couple of houses down from us.  General Conferences have been some of my favorite memories on my mission! Love you! 

 Our Asian Piggy Banks

 Dinner with Sister Williams

 P-day Popsicles are a tradition with Sister B and I! 



  


No comments:

Post a Comment